Home About Us Our Services The Process In The News Free Assessment Contact Us Site Map
Our Services
Federal Skilled Worker
Quebec Skilled Worker
Investor Programs
Entrepreneur Program
Self Employed Program
Family Sponsorship
Sponsoring Spouse
Work Permit
Visitors Visa
Live-in Caregivers
Student Visa
PNP Program
Express Entry
Professional Fees
In the Independent/Skilled Worker Class, a skilled worker is someone who has at least one (1) year of full-time (37.5 hours per week or more) work experience within the past ten (10) years in one of the occupations listed in either Skill Type 0 or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). The NOC was developed by Human Resources Development Canada to be a systematic cataloging of occupations in the Canadian labour market. The NOC is divided into five (5) bands:
  Skill Type 0 Management Occupations;
  Skill Level A which is primarily comprised of professional occupations;
  Skill Level B
which consists of technical, skilled trades and paraprofessional occupations;
  Skill Level C
which comprises occupations that mainly consist of intermediate level, clerical or supportive functions;
  Skill Level D
which consists of elemental sales or service and primary labourer occupations.

Only experience in Skill Type 0 or Skill Levels A and B are considered relevant for applicants in the Independent/Skilled Worker Class.

To immigrate in the Independent/Skilled Worker Class, the experience in Skill Type 0 or Skill Levels A and B must consist of actions described in the lead description and a substantial number of the duties described in the Main Duties section of the NOC, including all the essential duties.

Assuming that they meet the aforementioned prerequisites, applicants are then assessed according to various selection criteria by Citizenship and Immigration Canada officials and applicants must attain a minimum score of sixty-seven (67) points overall in order to be eligible to become permanent residents of Canada.

Skilled Work Experience

Your work experience must be:

  • in the same type of job as your primary NOC

  • within the last 10 years

  • paid work (volunteer work, unpaid internships don’t count)

  • at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2016 National Occupational Classification (NOC)

  • at least 1 year (1,560 hours total / 30 hours per week), continuous:

    • full-time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • equal amount in part-time: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • full-time at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

You must show that you did the duties set out in the occupational description in the NOC. This includes most of the main duties listed.

If you can’t show that your work experience meets the description in the NOC, you aren’t eligible under this program.


You must:

You must show that you meet the requirements in English or French. Your test results must not be more than two years old on the day you apply for permanent residence.


If you went to school in Canada, you must have a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian:

  • secondary (high school) or

  • post-secondary school

If you have foreign education, you must have:

Selection Factors

If you meet all the conditions set out in the minimum requirements, we’ll assess your application based on these selection factors:

  • age

  • education

  • work experience

  • whether you have a valid job offer

  • English and/or French language skills

  • adaptability (how well you’re likely to settle here)

These factors are part of a 100-point grid used to assess federal skilled workers. You earn points for how well you do in each of the six factors. Your total points will show if you qualify for the Express Entry pool. The current pass mark is 67 points.

Proof of Funds

You must show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you arrive in Canada, unless you:

  • are currently able to legally work in Canada

  • have a valid job offer from an employer in Canada

Principal Applicant

If you are applying on your own, you are the principal applicant.

If you have a live-in partner, either you or they can apply under Express Entry as a principal applicant if:

  • you are:

    • married
    • common-law partners, which means you:
      • are an opposite-sex or same-sex couple
      • have lived together in a marriage-like relationship for at least one year
  • both meet the requirements to apply as a Federal Skilled Worker

Your principal applicant should be the one of you most likely to:

  • meet the eligibility requirements

  • earn the most points in the section factors

  • earn the most points under the Comprehensive Ranking System for Express Entry

Other Requirements

  1. You must be admissible to Canada. Find out more about inadmissibility

  2. You must plan to live outside the province of Quebec

If you have skilled work experience and want to live in Canada permanently, use our Come to Canada tool to see if you’re eligible for the Express Entry pool.

Useful Link
Clients Area
File Status
Suggestion Box
Why Canada?
The United Nations has rated Canada as the best country in the world to live in, for sev en consecutive years....
What is a Canadian Immigrant Visa?
Who qualifies for an Immigrant Visa?
How much will be total expense?
When do I pay government fees?
Where do I submit my application for a Canadian Immigrant Visa?
What documents should be submitted in support of my application for permanent residence?
How long does the immigration process take?
  Home : About us : Canadian Immigration : Free Assessment : Sitemap : Useful Links : Privacy Policy : Faq